Rechercher dans ce blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

HEY, WILLIE! NASCAR should borrow from the Rolex 24 and mix it up on Daytona Road Course - Daytona Beach News-Journal

wristwatch.indah.link
Ken Willis   | The Daytona Beach News-Journal
play
Show Caption

HEY, WILLIE!

With all the road-course races NASCAR has added, maybe they could consider something else for the future. 

You know how IMSA has several different classes of cars race in the same Rolex 24 at Daytona? Why doesn't NASCAR try the same thing? Have a three-hour race on the DIS road course with all three divisions on the track at the same time — Trucks, Xfinity and Cup?

It’s certainly not that far-fetched, is it? This idea was hatched down at the South Turn one day over cold beer and hot wings with our mutual friend, Jim Kress.

KEN

HEY, KEN!

That’s probably not the worst idea hatched in these pages, and most certainly not the worst hatched at the South Turn (or by Jimmy, it goes without saying).

And here’s how you remake the Busch Clash: Since there wouldn’t be enough room for a full field of vehicles from each series, you take just the playoff teams from the previous year — 16 from Cup, 12 from Xfinity, 10 from Trucks. And 90 minutes would be long enough.

Similar to the Rolex, you have three races within one race, with variable top-end speeds among the three classes, which makes things interesting in lapped traffic. By interesting, of course, I mean chaotic.

More: Through the Gears: NASCAR's next wave is here, with more on the way

Sure, the Smart People will tell us why it might not be feasible, but seriously, you’re telling me you wouldn’t tune in or buy a ticket?

Since my request to add a Figure 8 race has apparently been tabled, I’m stealing this idea as my new officially licensed wish.

HEY, WILLIE!

Great job on the Robin Braig stories. Sorry, but “Robbie juice” was Bud Light and Bushmills. That’s not quite as awful as I imagine it would be to combine Bushmills and Chardonnay.

I’m sure Robin got a kick out of that, though, because he did love the giant cheap jug of Chardonnay for when he was not drinking “Robbie juice.”

STEPHANIE

HEY, STEPH!

Basically, a kinda-sorta boilermaker, without the inherent danger of swallowing a shot glass. Ah, that sounds much better.

More: KEN WILLIS: Loss of Robin Braig brings shock and sadness, then the stories roll out

HEY, WILLIE!

Is it fraudulent to charge people for 80 laps of racing and provide only 68 because you took six caution laps after each stage? Rip-off!

NASCAR did the same in the Daytona 50018 laps out of 200. It’s time NASCAR gave some thought to the fan experience.

There, now I feel better. Thanks.

ED IN FLAGLER BEACH

More: NASCAR returns some normal to our Sundays

HEY EIFB!

I’m getting different numbers but I’m also getting your drift. I can’t find an 80-lap race with 12 caution laps between stages. The ARCA race was scheduled for 80 laps and there was a seven-lap “competition caution” mixed in there.

The two stage breaks for the Daytona 500 were each five laps.

But a lot of people agree with your general point that caution laps between contrived breaks shouldn’t be counted. I get the reason for going to stages, and it does add a bit of drama that wasn’t there before. But should those caution laps count? Not in a perfect world.

HEY, WILLIE!

Kenny, my man … I finally realized what the attraction is for all those NASCAR fans. It’s that last lap. The chaos and mayhem, the crashing and burning taking place.

You see, I don’t qualify as a NASCAR fan. I don’t live in a mobile home. I don’t drive a pickup truck. I don’t smoke, and I have all my teeth. And, oh yeah, I didn’t vote for Donald Trump.

WOLLEY IN PALM COAST

HEY, WIPC!

I could spend the whole day on your stunning display of unoriginal material, but sometimes it’s best to just let it stew in its own juices.

Reach Ken Willis at ken.willis@news-jrnl.com.

The Link Lonk


February 24, 2021 at 10:38AM
https://ift.tt/2Nq8EL9

HEY, WILLIE! NASCAR should borrow from the Rolex 24 and mix it up on Daytona Road Course - Daytona Beach News-Journal

https://ift.tt/3gaCH26
Rolex

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Drake gifts Lil Baby a flossy new Rolex - REVOLT TV

wristwatch.indah.link Lil Baby once again showcases the benefits of having obscenely rich friends. On Monday night (June 28), the rapper u...

Popular Posts